Monday, February 26, 2018

Hashimoto's - update

That's what I've been diagnosed with.  Hypothyroidism - under active thyroid.

I need to do more research.  Because one lady that has it said that it hasn't attacked her thyroid yet and she gets checked every year.  But meanwhile, her neck looked slightly swollen to me.  *shrug*

My TSH is 5.9 and it should be under 4.  In November it was 5.63.  TSH comes from the pituitary gland to tell your thyroid to make more T4.

My endo has put me on 50 mcg of Levothyroxine.  The nurse said that's a low dose.

I was thrown off a bit because blood work was done Friday and I thought Dr. Thomas would wait till the uptake test before deciding on treatment.  So putting me on the meds now, tells me that we aren't playing around.

They have to be taken in the morning and I have to wait an hour before eating.

I'm amazed at how many of us have Hashimoto's.  We all need tattoos and some kind of special wave, like Harley owners.  :-)

So a pill each morning and waiting to be called by Diagnostic Imaging for appointment.  I'll give them a week before I call to see what's up.  Then probably off the meds and on to a low iodine diet for 2 weeks prior to uptake test.

I freaked at first at the price of the pills.  But then noticed I got a 3 month's supply for $39.  So hurray for that.

Feel free to comment here or on Twitter or FB if you have questions.  I'm mostly doing this for myself to keep a record of progress and for my dad since it's easier for him to read all this then try to understand my blabbering over the phone.  (Love you, Dad!)

2/27 - Hashimoto's is not hypothyroidism.  Hashi is a disease.  Hypothyroidism is a condition.  This website is pretty informative:
https://www.verywell.com/hashimotos-vs-hypothyroidism-whats-the-difference-3231721




No comments:

Post a Comment

Dogs Updates

Cesar at 14 is doing well.  He's got a definite limp/swagger when he walks.  That has to do with the herniated disk in his back - I thin...