Thursday, February 22, 2018

First of Many Visits to Endocrinologist

First, it was worth the wait to see Dr. Thomas versus going to the doctors in Crestview.  She took her time talking to me and explaining how screwy the thyroid and the pituitary gland can be.

And I have a real strong feeling that my thyroid is behaving right now because I'm not tired and I'm happy.  But it'll act up eventually.

So tomorrow I go to the vampires and get a thyroid panel done.  And then I wait for a call from Diagnostic Imaging to have an uptake test done.  Don't ever go to Twin Cities to have an ultrasound done.  They charge a $300 room fee that insurance does not cover.  Bastards - Twin Cities, not the insurance company.

The uptake test has a 2 week prep of low iodine diet.  Which is going to take some effort on my part since I'm used to my current eating plan.  I won't be able to have my protein shakes because they have 10% daily recommended amount of iodine in them.  I'll have to stop taking my kelp pills each day.  No dairy - which some of my meals have cheese.

But I am allowed fresh veggies and frozen veggies that don't have added salt.  I have to avoid spinach and broccoli.  No edamame though because I'm not allowed any soy.  Canned peaches, pineapple, and pears are allowed.

Meat has to be fresh, noncured.

I'm allowed egg whites.  Natural, un-salted peanut butter.

I'm glad this is only a 2 week ordeal!  And it doesn't start till after the imaging place calls with my appointment.

Dr. Thomas gave me a compliment, but on the way home I overthunk it.  :-)
She said something like, "I admire you," or "I'm proud of you," or "I'm impressed by you."
I said, "Hurray!"
She said, "Seriously, you're over 50, you're in menopause, and you have a screwed up thyroid.  3 strikes and yet you've still lost weight."
Me, "Hurray!  It really wasn't that hard.  I just follow what NutriSystem told me to do."

Then I'm driving home and my wee lil brain went, "She called you old and broken."
I had to laugh at myself for that.

Her scale has me at 217.8.  My home scale has me at 215.4.  Which means my GP's scale probably has me at 214. something.

After this initial uptake thing - if nothing is out of the ordinary, every 6 months I'll do it all again.  If any of the nodules show inactivity, then a biopsy will be done.

2-23-18
My vampire this morning has Hashimoto's!  She showed me what her neck looked like because she is having  a case of thyroiditis.  I have seen women with necks that have looked like that before and never knew it was an inflamed thyroid.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dogs Updates

Cesar at 14 is doing well.  He's got a definite limp/swagger when he walks.  That has to do with the herniated disk in his back - I thin...