Friday, November 17, 2017

Depression or a screwed up thyroid or both?

Before you start thinking you have depression, please get a complete blood panel done by your regular doctor.  Not a pysch - at least not in Florida.  Unfortunately, in several areas of this state they don't follow the dictionary's definition of their calling.  Instead they dispense pills, no actual counseling.

Describe to your general practitioner what your symptoms are.  The blood panel will show if your thyroid levels are off.

And don't beat yourself up.  I'm lazy or I've always been heavy or I can't lose weight or I'm a restless sleeper - none of that.

If you wake up tired, suddenly get very tired in the middle of the day, feel no motivation - all that can be your thyroid.

My doctor did a blood panel on me a year ago and mentioned that a 3 month followup would be a good idea since my thyroid showed (I think) higher than normal levels.  I blew it off until a year later when I went in for my pap and doctor had me go get the panel done again.

That's when the problem showed even more.  The day the nurse talked to me about hypothyroid I got a thyroid panel done and an ultrasound of my thyroid done.

I will definitely be put on medicine.  But there is also the chance of a biopsy and surgery.

The good news in all this - once we get the medicine for my thyroid worked out, we'll be able to decrease the dose of my antidepressant.  And I will see faster weight loss!

So please don't rush to be put on happy pills.  Get blood work first.  There is a chance that it's not all in your head.  <3


No comments:

Post a Comment

Dogs Updates

Cesar at 14 is doing well.  He's got a definite limp/swagger when he walks.  That has to do with the herniated disk in his back - I thin...