Friday, April 20, 2018

Biopsy Results

My endo called last night around 730.  She's so awesome for taking the time when she's not working to contact me!

The biopsy results showed questionable cells.  So her suggestion is to take the thyroid.  I'm fine with that.  Hashimoto's will destroy it eventually.  And even leaving 1/2 would still mean scans every year and eventually at least one more uptake and scan and possible biopsy.

What wasn't in the FNA report was that one of the nodules had grown from 1.2 to 1.4 and that they did not call her or biopsy that one.  She was not happy about that at all.

So the next step for me is to wait for the call for pre-op appointment.  The surgery will be done in Pensacola.  Part of my family is there so that will help a lot.  It's an overnight stay in hospital.

When they take the thyroid they'll do lab work on it to see if it is cancerous.

If it isn't, I just continue with levothyroxine.

If it is, that's a 3 day stay in isolation in the hospital.  They put extremely high levels of  radioactive iodine in me.  And the isolation is because it can leak out of my body and possibly harm others.  This is the part that's going to be hard for me.  I don't like hospitals.  I get bored when I'm the patient.  I'm really hoping I'll at least be able to bring in puzzle books.  But this is only if they do find cancer.

Now - we both had to call the hospital to find out what was taking so long with the results.  I was told 'within a week'.  Yesterday was a week exactly.  When her nurse called Twin Cities, they were rude.  So I then shot off an email asking what the delay was.  No response, but the results did get sent to her.  The doctor and tech that performed my procedure are excellent.  Calm, gentle with the needle, and very clear communication.  But I wasn't happy that the admin side of the hospital was rude to my endo's nurse.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dogs Updates

Cesar at 14 is doing well.  He's got a definite limp/swagger when he walks.  That has to do with the herniated disk in his back - I thin...