Thursday, May 3, 2018

The C Word

I met with my surgeon on Tuesday.  For everything that he does and his level of knowledge, he's a humble man.  Respectful of his patients and the referring physicians.

He explained that the pathology report did state papillary carcinoma and did I know what that meant.  I said yes.  He suggested we take the whole thyroid.  I said definitely yes.  I also explained that I had a need to get this done quickly due to my insurance starting over June 1.

So my surgery is May 10th.

Lab report confirming cancer or saying, "Nope, you're good," will be back 2 or 3 days after that.

Normally, it's 4 weeks of low iodine diet and no thyroid meds to get TSH high prior to radioactive iodine treatment.  But because he was so definitive about it being cancer, I started that yesterday.  That'll put me 9 days ahead and hopefully get the RAI started within the last week of the month.

Not all cancers are death sentences.  This one is not.  It's an easy cancer to treat.  It can come back even with the thyroid gone, but that nodule just gets removed.  Easy.

I'm not nervous or scared about having cancer.  My brother is going through way more than I'll have to.

And I've had enough surgeries that I'm really looking forward to that nap.  :-)

As of this morning I weigh 200.4 pounds.  So in the middle of all this thyroid nonsense I just might be able to get to 199 or less!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Dogs Updates

Cesar at 14 is doing well.  He's got a definite limp/swagger when he walks.  That has to do with the herniated disk in his back - I thin...