Wednesday, March 21, 2018

The Uptake Test and some other test I don't know the name of - Updated

This morning I went to the hospital at 7:30, took an iodine pill at 8:05 ish.  Was told not to eat or drink for an hour.

At 1 went back to hospital and had a 5 minute 'picture' taken of my thyroid, then a 10 minute, then another 10 minute on left side, then 10 more minutes on right side of thyroid.  The camera moved, I just got to lay there.

The photos looked like blurry glowing ink blots to me.

Then into another room to sit and have this thing against my neck to measure the amount of iodine my thyroid absorbed - that's the actual uptake test.  2 two minute sessions, then 2 more two minute sessions of the thing pointed at my thigh to measure how much my body still had in it.  He couldn't show me the results of that which is a bummer.

Tomorrow morning I go back to have the uptake test redone.  I'm waiting on a call back from my doctor saying that I can go back to NutriSystem tomorrow and also to see whether I can start my pill back tomorrow or whether to wait till Friday morning.

Overall it wasn't a bad experience, but I really do not want to go through this every year.  So fingers crossed all the nodules are happy non-cancer nodules.

3/22
So this whole thing is called an Uptake and Scan.

After this morning's uptake I was able to get back on my meds and an hour later eat my NutriSystem breakfast.  It feels so good to be eating real food!

My endocrinologist already has the results.  There is a questionable area on the left side of my thyroid.  So she's scheduling a biopsy. 

My wonderful friend, Amanda, who's gone through this already said the biopsy will be an ultrasound guided needle.  So not very invasive.

I just gotta breathe and not stress about possibly missing more work.  <3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dogs Updates

Cesar at 14 is doing well.  He's got a definite limp/swagger when he walks.  That has to do with the herniated disk in his back - I thin...