Monday, July 3, 2017

Pink Hats and Ketchup

Sometimes I know it's coming.  I'll be talking about Ma and I'll feel it coming from my gut or my heart, up into my throat, and then the tears come.

Or I'll see a cardinal or a single butterfly.

Other times it just happens without any warning.  Ma put ketchup on her eggs.  I always thought that was weird and I'd tease her.  While visiting my BFF and my brother, we were eating at First Watch - the best coffee EVER - and out of the corner of my eye I saw the red bottle, then I heard the ketchup noise.

Then it happened.  Just mid-talking I start crying.  Not full blown losing it - just a few tears.

Erika wasn't even putting the ketchup on her eggs!  But just hearing the noise and seeing the bottle anywhere near eggs for some crazy reason caused me to miss Ma very much.

Before I went home I stopped at CVS to pick up a few things.  Rounded a corner and got blinded by a sea of pink hats.  I smiled thinking of Ma and her pink hats, but, again, was sad.

In my head I went through the conversation we'd have about my hair.
"Your hair is blue."
"Yes." or if I'm in a snarky mood "It is?!  Are you sure it's not the light?"
"Did you get it colored?"
"Either that or smurfs invaded my bedroom last night."
"It didn't cover your gray."
"I like my gray, remember?"
"How long will it stay like that?  Can they fix it?"
"Ma..."
Then I'd get the look.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dogs Updates

Cesar at 14 is doing well.  He's got a definite limp/swagger when he walks.  That has to do with the herniated disk in his back - I thin...