Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Why I chose not to have hormone replacement

I recently had bloodwork done to determine if I was post-menopausal.  And, yup, I am.

The reason I had the tests done is due to the night sweats.  Waking up 3 or 4 times a night feeling like I was laying in a puddle was wearing me down.  It had been going on long enough that I finally decided to talk to my endocrinologist about it.

I also made some changes to my sleeping environment - I got a wicking mattress pad from cool-jams and pajamas from cool-jams and Amazon.   And a friend of mine made me some cooling packs out of rice.

It was amazing to be able to only have to wake up to pee!  It made a huge difference in my demeanor at work as well.

Today I saw my GP in the morning and my endo in the afternoon.

My endo explained to me that if I’ve been post-menopausal for 10+ years, that’s 10+ years my body has not had these hormones.  And giving them back to my body can be a bit of a shock.  Even in the lowest dose.  It also would increase my chances of stroke, breast cancer, brittle bones, and a list of other stuff.

And hormone replacement isn’t meant to be for life.

I asked her flat out if the only real benefit would be to relieve the night sweats.   She said yes.  So I risk all that other stuff, just to relieve something that I’ve already pretty much taken care of?

Yeah, negative on the hormone replacement.

Had I found out earlier - like years earlier - that I was post-menopausal, I would have probably opted for the hormones.  And had I had a full hysterectomy it would have been a huge benefit to get the hormone replacement immediately.

But my situation it would be more negatives than positives to do it now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dogs Updates

Cesar at 14 is doing well.  He's got a definite limp/swagger when he walks.  That has to do with the herniated disk in his back - I thin...